Friday, January 20, 2012

Field Trip to CM2

I surprised the kids last week after Thursday Mass by taking them to the Portland Children's museum! Of course I had the library's pass which got three of us in free, then I had a BOGOF coupon (that's "Buy One Get One Free" for those of you who don't know cheapskate lingo) so we all got in for $9 instead of $45. They had a Lego exhibit that I knew the kids would love:


I was right, they loved it! We were in no hurry so I took their lead.


James wasn't interested in looking at the elaborate models or any of the other exhibits; instead he parked himself right here:


After seeing everything Mariposa joined him:


Bunny did do some Lego-building but she really loved the other features of the exhibit, too, like this horse:


Next we moved on (James reluctantly) and had more fun. I kept to one section of the museum, and let the three older ones have their fun while I made sure I had my eye on Gemma. For the most part they stayed together though, and the play-grocery-store was a favorite.

This is where Mariposa ventured off to try something new:


Another BIG hit with my kids:


After spending some time with Gemma in the toddler area, I encouraged her to join the kids at the vet center:


We had a break for lunch (which I brought of course, PBJ on homemade bread, pudding cups, bananas, and a special Kool-aid drink where I dropped fizzy tablets in their water). Finally they got to play at the water exhibit, a perennial favorite:





What a great day! They were all tired but happy. :o) I'm hoping to plan more field trips in the near future now that we decided to make Thursday our day off school. Maybe the art museum next, or OMSI, or...?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I could totally see Bunny becoming a vet when she grows up, do you think she's interested in anything like that? What do all the kids say they want to be when they grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate you are to visit a place like that when it's not crowded. One of the advantages of homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Bunny would love to be a vet. I will encourage her in anything, but I know a vet is hard work so I am dropping hints that maybe something like a dog kennel owner might be better/more lucrative... ? Right now James will be an artist like Uncle Justin and Posa will be a dancer. :o)

    Yes we try to take advantage of off-peak hours, ha ha ha! Bun and James were two of just a SMALL handful of kids that were over preschool age, no doubt all homeschooled. A lot of preschoolers at first but the numbers went down closer to lunchtime (11ish). I remember going with just my little preschooler(s)....

    ReplyDelete