Monday, February 21, 2011

Food Rules, and food flops

Time for an NYR update. I finished my first book of the year for NYR #8! It took about 5 minutes to finish up "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan yesterday, and even though it was a cheater book for me, it was still a good read.


From the back of the book: "A definitive compendium of food wisdom. Eating doesn't have to be so complicated. In this age of ever-more elaborate diets and conflicting health advice, "Food Rules" brings a welcome simplicity to our daily decisions about food. Written with clarity, concision and wit...this indispensable handbook lays out a set of straightforward, memorable rules for eating wisely, one per page, accompanied by a concise explanation."

The basic rules are to eat food, not too much, and mostly plants. Some of my favorite "smaller" rules are: shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle whenever you can, stop eating before you're full, pay more/eat less, and have a glass of wine with dinner. I'm pretty good at my favorites, except I do tend to pay more and eat more, because the food tastes so good!

Other NYRs...totally slacked on NYR #2 and did not try any new recipes last week, although I've never experienced lobster like I did on auction night:



I did get to cross off NYR #5 today, 5 minutes of time outdoors everyday. Stop laughing; it is much harder than you think. I logged my time today by walking down to get the mail with Marcus and the kids. Of course there was no mail since it is a holiday, but it was worth it anyway. We spent about an hour outside walking the property so I am good for the week which is great since it's supposed to be cold in a few days.

Still working on the other ones, like NYR #1-- 1 new adventure per month. We'll try to go geocaching this week since it was raining when we planned to go on Valentine's Day. Geocaching will be good b/c it counts as NYR #5 AND NYR #1, and maybe #3 if I say a rosary on the way to the park, and even #6 if we lose the kids and can count it as a date.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment