Tuesday, May 10, 2011

RIP LTG

(Monday)
We lost a chick last night. :o(. Little Tough Guy had been sick since early last week and although he did recover for a day or two, he was worse the past few days. We tried separating him from the rest of the flock (they were walking on him) and giving him his own box, food, and medicated water, but even then he didn't thrive and he looked just as small as when we brought him home. The kids were growing attached to him and even though I tried to prepare them for the inevitable, they were still very sad.

We wrapped him in a cloth and we'll bury him later today for some closure. Bunny knew last night, and cried, but James didn't know until this morning when B or M must've told him. He went out to the garage on his own, to see for himself. I'm glad I wrapped LTG and put him back in his box, so James could reconcile and see that LTG was dead and not just "gone."

Meanwhile...the other 14 chicks are doing great. We moved them to the stall yesterday, using a borrowed brooder to keep them warm. I set up some boxes to make a smaller pen within the stall. We have visions of 6+ dozen eggs a week in the fall! I have a feeling we will be very popular come October or so.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. Poor Little Tough Guy. I know he'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's so sad. I hate it when animals die - but I know that's part of the deal.

    Hope the kids are feeling better soon!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss. And that was a really cool name. Too bad.


    Ps- what in the world will you do with six dozen eggs a week????? Make lots of quiches I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omelets (easier) ;o)

    no--most to St. Vincent de Paul, might sell some cheap to friends, but not in it to make money

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about little tough guy. I realy liked seeing him at your house.

    Love Aidan

    ReplyDelete