Saturday, October 12, 2013

God will provide (mathematical proof)

All this summer, I hemmed and hawed over making a decision on our household electronics situation.  Our school-room PC was as old as Bunny, and was so slow I could hardly even pull up a simple website much less play educational YouTube videos.  My mom convinced me that a laptop would be a good idea, and since a MacBook was kinda overkill for what I needed, we narrowed the search down to a simple PC.  I was scared of Windows 8 so I decided on Windows 7, and Marcus said I should get a good brand from a good store so we chose Costco.  Then in September when it was time to hit the "Buy" button...Marcus said, "So why don't you use move our main computer from the TV room to the school room?"  Duh.  So we saved $680 (plus software costs) just like that.

A month later, I saw in the bulletin that our St. Vincent de Paul food bank needed a laptop. After inquiring, I learned that they needed a simple laptop with WiFi, but without software, and preferably with Windows 7 (given the computer literacy level of the volunteers at the center).  It was obvious to me that God had prepped me to buy them one, and I ran the idea by Marcus.  He gave me the go-ahead.

Now, $680 could go a long way in our home.  We could fund a big field trip.  We could buy a great printer.  We could go on a couple of really fabulous date nights.  But those expenses just aren't as justified as buying a computer for St. Vincent de Paul.  So we went ahead full force and just did it.

Here's the math that followed:



**An unsolicited donor stepped forward to cover half the cost ($340)



**Marcus came back from Las Vegas (business trip) with $200 winnings from the blackjack tables


**We received an unexpected $130 check from the police department for an overpaid speeding ticket (that's a different story)


So...our "stretch" of a donation, initially costing us $680, really only cost us $10.


Dear readers, please let this be a lesson to you as it is to us:  if you are in an opportunity to help someone, just do it.  God will provide to you what you need, and He will repay you (sometimes in a very literal sense).

PS--mom, maybe you can help St.VdP set up their new computer when you are here :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment