Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crater Lake lapbook

In preparation for our Crater Lake trip I put together a lapbook project for my kids and the cousins to do together. I had never done a lapbook before so it was a little daunting, but I looked at some examples online, bought a few to do later (Olympics, solar system, and history), and set out to make my own. (reference note: a great place to buy lap books is currclick.com)

After I created all the pages on the computer, Marcus set out to Office Depot to get it all copied and to buy some file folders. I also bought some woodsy-themed scrapbook paper. We all got together yesterday morning and got started!



The project involved a LOT of cutting and pasting, and following directions. The kids did great! The goal was to learn a little about our destination, to have fun, and to do a little "school" work like following the teacher's directions, patience, and hand-eye craft work.


Almost done.....


The back of the folder has their handprints and foot prints and says "take only pictures, leave only footprints."


The finished product:


They learned about history, geology, topography, and wildlife. The front flap has a pocket that holds a "junior ranger" card that has squares on the back where the kids can earn stickers for spotting various things, and inside there is a blank spot to paste a final picture of all of us on the trip. This was a flurry of activity to get it done in one morning, but it was worth it! :o)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I love the lap book idea. It looks like all the kids enjoyed the project. And it will be great for them to take them to Crater Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you are going to Crater Lake. It is soooo beautiful. Please post pictures of the blue water!
    When the boys were young, we had a world atlas for the opening ceremony of the Olympics and we found each country on the map as they paraded in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Olympics idea!!! I will have to do that!!! :o)

      Delete