Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spelunking

Yesterday (Monday) we visited the Squire Boone Caverns, near Corydon, Indiana. Uncle Tony, Katie, grammae, and we signed up for the tour, which began with a 60-foot descending spiral staircase.


The caverns were discovered by Daniel Boone's brother, Squire.


We learned a lot about caves/caverns and geology. I count this as a school field trip. Science? Check!



Notice that I had Gemma in the sling. I got my workout that day.


Stalactites and stalagmites form at the rate of 1 cubic inch per 100 years. Look at the size of this column!


This was such an amazing adventure. I had never been in a cave before so I tried to take it all in--the beauty, the unique features, the history. The kids gained an experience that they can can refer back to for the rest of their lives.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I have liked following your trip... And I also like caves. Don't touch the walls though!

    ReplyDelete