Monday, February 11, 2013

NYR #7: one book done

I'm really not sure this book counts, but if I come in short at the end of the year, I'll take it.  This is one of Bunny's school books, and an easy one at that.  I wanted to read this factual biography myself before reading a sort of "historical fiction" book on Ben Franklin to the kids.  I did enjoy this book.  It made me amazed at all that Ben did in his lifetime, sure, but I was more impacted by his problem-solving attitude and his perseverance.  Especially early on in his life (young adulthood) he had many, many setbacks in terms of business ventures in the printing trade, but he kept going and found ways to bounce back.  I especially liked the importance he placed on reading, even as a child when none of his friends liked to read, and books were scarce.  As an older man he was very well respected for his knowledge but also for his interest in everything and everyone around him.  He made the "lowest" person feel as important as the King of France, because he treated both the same: with full attention and a genuine interest.  In this age of chiming distractions, we can all learn this lesson from Ben!!

No comments:

Post a Comment