Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My grandpa's funeral

Earlier this month, my dad's dad died after a relatively short bout of old age.


He was in the army in World War 2, came home to work and run a farm, had 4 kids, and was a young widower when his wife died (my dad was the oldest and just a young teen; his youngest sibling about 2 years old).


Years later, he found love again while square dancing. :o). There is a picture of my grandma later in this post.

I took a redeye Sunday night via Seattle and DC, and mom picked me up Monday morning from Detroit. After a short time at my mom and dad's house, we drove up to the viewing. I now see the importance of funerals/ open houses etc. because we saw so many relatives and friends, it was like a reunion. Of course I wish it was for a better reason. But I guess that is why attending weddings and funerals are so important for society, it really is a chance to get together all at one time. Here are my parents and their kids (and some grandkids):


My dad (on the right) and his siblings, Dennis, Carl, and Christine:


A big surprise, an old friend from Alpena, Ryan (now "Dr. Ryan"):


The next day (Tuesday) was the funeral. After the service, we all went in a vehicular procession to the cemetery, where a spot was ready for him next to his first wife. Grandpa's grandsons were the pall bearers (my brother Joe in the front):


And then after the cemetery there was a very nice reception back at the church. The ladies of the church took care of everything. It was a great opportunity to visit and take lots of reunion-type pictures; here is grandma and her grandkids:


None of us really wanted it to end, so we continued the celebration of life by taking a walk around the farm. My dad and his sibs told lots of stories about grandpa, and answered a lot of our questions. It was a beautiful day, really very special.


We came across this old windmill water pump, and of course all the men had to try it out and see if they could get it to work:


I spent the night at my parents' home, with my 3 younger siblings and baby Greyson. On Wednesday we all flew back, they to Colorado and I to Oregon. It was a hard decision for me to fly out to the funeral and leave the kids behind, especially little Gemma. But now I know it was the right decision and I am glad to have gone, and so grateful to Marcus for encouraging me to go and for taking care of everything in my absence.

We will miss you, grandpa.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Brings a tear to my eyes - well, maybe more than one. I miss grandpa every day but am so thankful for the time we had preparing for his journey to heaven. I am a better and stronger person because of grandpa.

    I'm also so glad you made the trip "home" for the funeral. A big hug and thanks to Marcus for making it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a special time! That's so great that you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great time, even though I still struggle it's death personally. I also got to see how much bonding we all got to do because of the funeral. Grandpa will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss Becky - but what a beautiful time came out of it for your family.

    God Bless - and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete