Friday, December 9, 2011

A bite of the Big Apple

Marcus left early for his meeting with Estee Lauder and I slept in like it thought I would. Since we are only on the 2nd floor, there is not much light because the tall buildings block the sun. But after washing up and eating a quick snack (a piece of carrot cake from home) I was out the door at 10 am. That's 7am my time, early! When I stepped outside I saw that while it was still chilly, it was a beautiful sunny morning. First I walked a couple of blocks east to Bryant Park:


Marcus and I had been to this park in the summertime 10 years ago, and it was definitely different now in the winter. Little shops were set up all over, and there is a skating rink in the center.


I should note that you, dear blog reader, will be subjected to many not-so-great pictures of me in this post. I wanted the kids to see what NYC is like, but I don't think they appreciate anonymous landscape shots so I tried to set up my tripod at some places. Do you like the pictures, kids? :o)

So next I stopped at the library next to the park. Isn't it beautiful? At the time it was built (finished in 1911--one hundred years ago!) it was the largest marble building in the US. The library is designed in the Beaux-Arts style, which combines Classical structures with Renaissance art and style. Notice the lion (one of two) guarding the library; look for them in a later picture.


Before going in I stopped by a street vendor for a bagel and cream cheese.


This is the entry hall:


This is the Rose main reading room on the 3rd floor. Can you imagine your local library looking like this? I love that people were studying at the desks with tourists walking around. Mass last night was like that, too. Anyway, can you kids guess why they put the reading room on the third floor (and all the stacks of books in the basement)? Hint: look at the beautiful windows....


Paintings decorated the walls and ceilings. This one depicts the story of Prometheus, who disobeyed Zeus and gave fire to humans. For this, he was severely punished. Why do you think the artist chose to paint Prometheus here at the library?


Leaving the library...the entry hall again. See the two lions? They are smaller versions of the ones outside, and these are NOT carved from marble...they are made from Lego bricks!


I then continued east on 40th to Grand Central Station:


This place was similar to the others...great beauty for an every-day setting. There were a lot of tourists like me, but also many people there to catch a train like it was no big deal.


This is a little blurry but can you see the train in the middle of the picture?


I made my way up 42nd to Times Square. It didn't really look much different in the daylight, since last night the lights were so bright it was LIKE daylight!


I had to do some shopping for my sweet kids whom I miss very much:



I couldn't resist...kids: "1st UPS of the day!". They have them in NYC too! Do you see it?


Now I am back in my room. The camera battery needs recharging. :o). Marcus should be back any minute now, and I think we might grab a bite to eat at Macy's while he shows me around. I can't wait because he knows all about the store from an insider tour last year. As for this evening, maybe we will go back to Rockefeller or maybe even Central Park. I'll probably get a hot chocolate, yum.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. The kids remembered the Prometheus story. They are surprised there are outdoor skating rinks. They kept on trying to correct me to say 'inside ice skating rink'. They were trying to figure out what you may have purchased for them.
    They found the trains in the picture. And they figured out why the reading room was upstairs.

    ReplyDelete