Wednesday, April 17, 2013

NYR #5--February new recipes

I was just about to post March's 5 new recipes when I realized I never posted February's!  I think I was confused because I actually did post some of the recipes in individual posts, but not the whole February recap as one singular post.  So here it is....

In February we had some winners and some also-rans.  The first new recipe we made was "Maple Oat Scones," which I have already written about.  It was a yummy treat that got thumbs-up from the crew!  I used my new "Farm Chicks" cookbook from my goddaughter Eliot.  

From that same cookbook we made the golden potato bake.  I didn't remember to take photos of the results OR the recipe, but it was very good and we will make it again.  Hashbrowns mixed with sour cream and cheese, what's not to like?  

For the Oscars party I made Chocolate Caramel Candy Bars (recipe below).  These were "OK."  I was expecting WOW! since I really love Twix bars, but I think making caramel with sweetened condensed milk made the bars taste a little different than a true caramel.  I might try again but make my own caramel.  In my "spare time," right?

making the caramel, to put on the cookie crust
From Woman's Day magazine

Also for the Oscars we made these little goat-cheese and apricot appetizers:


from Sunset Magazine
Just like the caramel bars, I was expecting a lot more.  I think the apricots were too apricot-y and plump.  I might've liked them better with a dryer style of apricot, if there is such thing.  Think: the difference in texture between a raisin and a dried cranberry.

Our final recipe was a winner!!!  Our nanny Mrs. N had mentioned that she had tried a Panera copy-cat recipe--Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.  She had found it on food.com.  It was easy enough and had great reviews, so we gave it a try.  We weren't disappointed! This creamy soup was loved by ALL the kids and there were no leftovers after dinner (note to self: make a double batch!).  Marcus grilled the chicken the day before, and I think the grilled flavor made the soup all the better.
The ingredients
(we ate up all the soup before I could take a picture!)
What new recipes have YOU tried?


2 comments:

  1. Golden potato bake - sounds like our cheesy potato recipe. Make a double batch for Easter and it's a favorite of the high school boys! I made a banana oatmeal muffins that were ok but they are gone so they must not have been too bad. I'll have to try to post when I make something new.
    All the recipes on FB are looking pretty good!

    ReplyDelete