Monday, May 21, 2012

First day at Hualalai

The flights were fine, first to Oakland then to Kona. We were in first class on the long flight, and we passed the time by watching a movie (Sherlock Holmes 2) and reading a little. Marcus may've had a drink or four. When we landed it looked like we were on another planet--20,000 year old black lava flows as the landscape on either side of the runway. Loved the open-air airport:


We took a short car ride to our resort (Four Seasons Hualalai). It (along with the airport) is on the dry side of Kona where I heard they get only about 15 inches of rain a year, as compared to the other side which gets many times that amount. Of course the Four Seasons has totally irrigated the property to make it look lush but still get the great drier weather. Once we got in our room and took a nap we then took a (slow) walk around the property. Here is Marcus along a part of the beach:


There is a swimming section and then most of the beach is more for just walking. We didn't see any wildlife but I'm sure we'll explore more in the next few days.


The resort has 5 pools including a kid-friendly one and an one for adults only. Our room is right near the "main" pool. We think they put us here at a nice central location so I wouldn't have to walk too far...a big thank you to the planners if it was intentional! Here is a neat "pool" that has fish for a controlled snorkeling experience:


I'll have to try that out since I can't do the real snorkeling tomorrow on the adventure portion of the agenda. I guess I will just stay back at the resort and lay on a cot by the ocean, such a bummer. ;o). Here is a view from the lobby:


Marcus will be golfing on Tuesday...


...while I will be enjoying a pregnancy massage and then a dip in the adult pool:


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. It looks picture perfect. Mary just said she is wondering why you didn't take her this time too. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so wonderful! I think it's so neat that there can be such different weather year-round on one island. Maui was that way too -- rainforest and desert just minutes apart from one another. Next year I'm climbing in a suitcase, I don't care if I'm invited or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete