Thursday, May 31, 2012

On the scuttle bug




James is always so sweet with Gemma. She doesn't deserve it! All the kids have been helping me out during these last weeks of pregnancy, distracting Gemma and playing with her. I am a very lucky mama.

Gemma was in rare form today. Some words to describe her are: constant, loud, emotional, irrational, high-energy, spunky, defiant, hilarious, and animated. Luckily she took a good nap, and then after dinner Marcus took charge of her so I could garden. Planted 6 tomatoes, sunflower and patty pan seeds, 2 peppers, and 3 eggplants. Doesn't sound like much but I had to spend some time amending the soil (meaning I dug out the old clay/dirt, hauled it away, and added a mix of purchased garden soil and compost) since the sunflowers are along the edge of the garden where the tiller can't get to. I also had to pull weeds in those areas. But it is good work, it is good to be tired and sore at the end of an emotionally hard day. I'll post more garden pictures soon.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. good thing Gemma is only 2 years old--if you used those words to describe the other kids I'd be concerned! I bet she's stress/anxious/worried about the new baby....she's no longer going to be the "baby" in the family anymore, and she's might have a harder time than the others finding her "place" in the family. I'm sure she'll grow out of it. Maybe a little more attention from everyone is just what she needs?

    (sage advice from a non-mother!)

    good job with the garden stuff--I was thinking of you the other day when I was working in my garden--must be so hard for you to find time to work out there AND have the energy being so close to your due date! I think you're doing great to have a garden at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gardening has been fun. Using the wheelbarrow really wears me out but I have to amend that soil before I can plant IN it then in front of it. The weeding isn't that bad since my belly hangs down when I get on my hands and knees, and it feels good to have the change in gravity. :o). The worst of the gardening is the up-and-down of getting plants/seeds then planting them (maybe raised beds would've been a good idea this year...).

    We think Gemma is having a growth spurt and/or developmental changes. They are often wild during that time, and she slept in until 11am the other day!

    ReplyDelete