Friday, May 18, 2012

Garden shots--some of my favorite things

The garden and landscaping is in bloom! Here is a pretty iris(?) from a friend, the first one to bloom:


There are some yellow ones almost ready, too. Here is a newly-planted spirea, which I am just thrilled with because it reminds me of my sister Erica!


I clearly remember picking some flowers like these off a bush at our Walker Road house, to give to mom and and Erica in the hospital when she was born on this day 31 years ago.

Two more of my favorite things, a volunteer and some Lily of the Valley from a church friend:


Aren't they just so beautiful and delicate?


I love columbine, not only because they are lovely but also because they are Colorado's state flower. This one is a beauty!


Rhodies in our landscaping are also in bloom:


Dad, do you remember planting lilacs in January near the playground fence?


The kids' strawberry bed, also near the playset:


My new strawberry bed. I am half-done but everything takes twice as long for me now!! I think these are Hoods so we may not get any berries from this bed this year (hoods are early and have a short season) but next year might be great! Then hopefully we'll have a few good years before pulling them up and putting in an outdoor fireplace... :o)


More columbine (you can see how vigorous this plant is in the background of the previous picture):


I love coral bells!


Peas and lettuce were planted late and not well taken care-of but they are still alive at least:


Only a LITTLE more planting to do before starting the vegetable garden on Memorial Day week....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Looks like heaven, I LOVE this post!! I'll have to plant some Spirea and think of you too :-) And did know now that Lily of the Valley are the birth-flowers (?) for May? Just another reason to think of me! And lilacs are my favorite scent ever (for candles too!), and the Columbine for Colorado....I'm glad to see I'm well represented in your garden :-)

    Miss you guys! good luck with the planting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are a volunteer, just like that little tree next to the Lily of the Valley flowers! Wow, you really are a big influence on my garden!

    I was so happy when I saw the spirea. I bought it last fall and didn't really know what it was. Then I saw it in bloom the other day!

    Happy birthday Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE all your pictures, Becky! I love this time of year when all the blooms are fresh and everything is that new bright green. That is an iris in the first picture, and it's gorgeous! I love lily of the valley too - so tiny but cheery. Your lilac and columbine are so pretty, your strawberries by the playground are getting huge(!), and what a nice tribute to Erica with the spirea! Flowers and strawberries make me happy :-) Congrats on such beautiful landscaping!!

    ReplyDelete